Sunday, January 20, 2013

One of Life's Simple Pleasures

I'm not sure about all of you, but I believe riding a carousel is one of life's simple pleasures. Why is that? Going around in the same slow circle to the cheesy canned music, riding some mythical creature is generally not something that would pique my interest at all. But for some reason, the carousel is different.

I can't remember the first time I rode a carousel, or even doing it many times as a child. But, I have made up for it the past 6 years of my life. Elise has always loved riding the carousel. It turns out, Abby does as well. During Elise's "Make a Wish" trip in October of 2011, the girls got to ride the carousel to their hearts content. On the grounds of Give Kids the World Village, where all "Wish " kids stay, was an accessible carousel open each day from 8am to 10pm (or something like that). Kids could ride the carousel before breakfast, during breakfast, after breakfast, before bed, etc., etc., etc. There was no cost and there was nobody telling you that you only got one turn and would have to come back later. Being open such long hours meant there was never a line. The carousel was such a simple thing that brought smiles to thousands of people. There truly is something magical about watching kids, or adults, experience something that they are not always able to. Seeing the kids in wheelchairs and those barely strong enough to even sit up straight have huge smiles on their faces are reason enough to volunteer to work in a place like that.

As I watched my kids on the carousel today, I realized it is not any different for them no matter what part of the country we are in. They have ridden a carousel in several states and never want to pass up the opportunity to ride when they see one. Whether you are young, or young at heart, you should find time to stop by your nearest carousel. You won''t regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment